Salary: £42,509–£57,680 (Grade 7)
The Finance Team are looking for a Newly Qualified Accountant to join us for an initial period of six months, to provide assistance during the move to a new financial system. During the implementation period, our core activities continue at pace, and we need an individual with a positive outlook who can help to provide continuity to our financial processes and occasionally assist with UAT on the new system.
CMAL’s Corporate Plan details our upcoming key projects, and this includes development of a number of ports and harbours, construction of new piers and terminal buildings and our ongoing vessel replacement programme. Therefore, a good working knowledge of the accounting treatment for fixed assets under construction would be of benefit.
See our Corporate Plan ›
Reporting to the Financial Controller, you will work as part of a team of nine. Your key tasks will include:
- Assisting in the preparation of monthly management reports.
- Assisting in the preparation of budgets.
- Assisting the Financial Controller in the annual audit preparation and production of Annual Financial Statements.
- Prepare grant applications to Transport Scotland.
- Provide support to other members of the Team as necessary.
- Liaising with other teams within the business to provide accurate and timely information to enable effective decision-making.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a motivated, professional, and diligent team member who enjoys a challenge and has the ability to act on their own initiative. The following skills and experience are essential for the role:
- Must be familiar with accounting for large value asset bases, with particular focus on work-in-progress accounting.
- Should be familiar with Public Sector reporting requirements and financial protocols.
- Experience of producing management accounts.
- Holds a professional qualification with a reputable UK accounting body.
- Able to communicate effectively, consult and negotiate with people from varied disciplines.
- Dedicated team player, who is capable of building strong, effective relationships both internally and externally.
What’s in it for you?
You will join an experienced team within a rewarding and evolving working environment in a future-thinking organisation.
- An attractive salary (placing on the scale is dependent on qualifications and experience).
- 30 days annual leave plus 8 public holidays per year.
- A defined benefit pension scheme, life assurance and an optional healthcare scheme.
- We also support further personal and professional development.
- Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner, and dependents.
The work environment
Our head office is on the Clyde Estuary in Port Glasgow, and our port infrastructure is spread across the west coast and the islands of Scotland. The primary responsibilities of the role will be undertaken during office hours of Monday to Friday, 08.30 – 17.00 at our Port Glasgow head office.
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please send your CV with cover letter, including details of how you meet the person specification to HR@cmassets.co.uk
Closing date for applications: Midnight on 3rd October 2023.