Situated on the Isle of Barra in the Outer Hebrides, Castlebay offers a tranquil harbour shielded from the elements in all directions.
In 2022, port facilities were significantly improved. The refurbishment involved transforming the central store into a modern ticket office and a larger waiting room, along with new accessible toilets and a baby change facility. A new stair lift was also installed, making the building fully accessible. The exterior was fitted with a new roof covering and repainted. These enhancements have elevated Castlebay’s charm, offering visitors a visually pleasing experience, complemented by the sight of Kisimul Castle in the bay.
In May this year, the replacement of the wire lifting ropes on the Castlebay linkspan was successfully completed. The requirement to replace the ropes was based on inspection results from specialist engineers. The improvements mean that heavy loads can, once again, use the linkspan.
- Pier and linkspan
- ChargePlace Scotland EV charging station
- Ferry terminal office with toilets, passenger Wi-Fi and waiting room
- Over 700 ferry movements a year
- From Castlebay, you can catch the MV Isle of Lewis to Oban—the journey lasts approximately 4 hours and 45 minutes
- Vessels up to 100m in length and 4m draught can be accommodated
Live Castlebay Webcam—View more webcam locations ›
Our full privacy notice is available here.