Caledonian Maritime Assets Limited (CMAL)’s has reached the final phase of a £6 million harbour investment programme.
Work commenced in June 2017 to reconstruct the slipways at Colintraive and Rhubodach and create a larger vehicle queuing area at Colintraive.
The new slipways have now been completed, and the ferry service has successfully started operating from them. This allows the project to move into the final stage: demolishing the old slipway at Rhubodach and completing the vehicle queuing area at Colintraive.
The phased construction project has meant minimal impact on ferry users, allowing the ferry service to operate to timetable. In a move to cause as little disruption as possible, contractors Raynesway secured additional land so ferry traffic did not need to queue on the main road during construction work.
Ruairidh Campbell, Senior Civil Engineer at CMAL said:
“We are pleased to report that the ferries have successfully started operating from the two new slipways without any issues.
“The new slipways will provide islanders with a more resilient ferry service, offering increased flexibility around tide levels. We have worked hard to ensure construction has had as little impact on ferry users as possible, and we are pleased to be moving into the final phase of this project.”
- Issued by Clark Communications on behalf of Caledonian Maritime Assets Limited (CMAL). For media enquiries contact Lisa Donnelly 0141 548 8222 / 07711476772 or Lisa@clarkcommunications.co.uk
- CMAL own property at piers and harbours at more than 26 locations throughout Scotland. CMAL is delivering a programme of investment and improvements, which will create better facilities.
- In addition to its pier and harbour facilities, CMAL owns 32 ferries. All 32 vessels are leased to CalMac Ferries Ltd for use on ferry services on the Clyde and Hebrides. In addition, two ferries are currently under construction.
- CMAL is a publicly owned company with Scottish Ministers as the sole shareholder.
- For more information about CMAL visit: cmassets.co.uk