Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd is to carry out a refurbishment of the existing linkspan at Port Ellen later this month.
The work will get underway in the next couple of weeks as CalMac (CFL) will already be operating a reduced service during February due to a vessel refit.
CMAL has taken this opportunity to refurbish the linkspan during this period in a bid to minimise disruption for passengers with the ferry using a fixed ramp for the duration of the works.
The refurbishment will comprise of steelwork repairs, raising the level of the linkspan, as well as an extensive mechanical overhaul and lifting rope replacement along with painting.
The linkspan will be lifted from its current location for the works, scheduled from 15th February – 9th March 2010.
We have consulted with Diageo who have programmed grain deliveries around these dates to minimise resulting ferry diversions to Port Askaig. CFL will also alert passengers should severe weather result in further diversions to Port Askaig. Please contact CFL for further information on timetables during this period.
Notes to Editors
- Work on site to refurbish the linkspan at Port Ellen will be undertaken by George Leslie Ltd and Napier Bros Ltd.
- The works have been scheduled to run from 15th February – 9th March 2010.
- CMAL own property at piers and harbours at more than 24 locations throughout Scotland and are embarking on a programme of investment and improvements which will create better facilities.
- In addition to its pier and harbour facilities CMAL owns 31 ferries which are leased to CalMac Ferries Ltd and Cowal Ferries Ltd.
- CMAL is a publicly owned company with Scottish Ministers as the sole shareholder.
For further information please contact CMAL on 01475-749920 or email firstname.lastname@example.org